Sunday, February 27, 2022

Alexandra Bell's convocation



I am so sad about missing such a good convocation on our campus, also one of my friends played the flute. But Jonnie gave me an alternative video to hear. It is the recorded video when she gave a talk at the University of Kansas in 2018. 

With an interdisciplinary and journalism background for Bell, her "counternarratives" is so famous and some examples she showed really give me another understanding of journals and newspapers. In one of the examples about newspaper layout, Bell changed the position between wines and the breaking news. As we all thought, breaking news should be in the most obvious place in the newspaper, but the breaking news is about black athletics, which arranges under the picture about some normal wines. I am working as managing editor in our campus newspaper right now, also will meet some similar problems in my future work. I hope I can do a good job of layout and some wordy descriptions. 

Bell did a lot of changes to the New York Times, she rewrote news, change newspaper pictures, even delete some "unimportant" details from original writing. When she changed a picture from a blurred video screenshot to he is wearing a cap and gown, which represents that she is fighting for justice. She used her academic knowledge to put anything in a more objective place.

The network becomes more and more popular, and people have more chances to express their ideas and have more media to hear different perspectives. I hope we still can keep our real thinking, be the real self, and be objective people with the double vision to analyze anything we met.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me wonder how Alexandra Bells work would change as a lot of media moves on to the digital age instead of newspapers. I think digital tools can provide some new opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Final Blog Post

 Wow, time flies! I cannot believe that term is over and we had a lot of fun in this class. In this class, I really can feel free to share a...